Thursday 14 August 2008

Week 6, Day 30

Today I had my first dive in a Wet Suit. Putting on my 'spandex' under-suit, the Wet Suit and a pair of steel caped welly boots I was ready to go into the water. During the first dive I nearly jumped out of my suit and helmet as the cold water came in contact with my body (a takes a few minutes to warm up) and my chest instantly felt freezing. We did three consecutive dives: one as a Rescuer, one as a Victim and the final one as a Surface Standby.

After reaching 40 feet the 'Victim' leaves the Wet Bell and the Rescuer uncoils and gives him umbilical until he is 20 meters from the Bell. The surface then says that the diver is not responding. In this case there are three steps to take:

1. Ensure the Wet Bells' Bail-out cylinder valves are open.
2. Flush the Bells' canopy.
3. Release the man-lift for when the diver is back in the bell.

After ensuring all three tasks are done, the Rescuer/Tender uncoils his own umbilical and picking up the divers' umbilical, follows a Job-Line until he reaches the stricken diver (informing the surface of what is happening during the entire rescue) At the same time the Surface Standby is sent in to coil both divers umbilicals as they return to the bell. Securing the Victim in the man-lift, the Rescuer pulls him up into the air pocket in the Bells' canopy. Both divers remain inside while the Surface Supply diver finishes coiling up both umbilicals and fits the security chains. Once this is done the Surface Supply diver stands on top of the Wet Bell and everybody is pulled to the surface.

No comments: