Wednesday 9 July 2008

Day 3

Continuing for yesterday, we looked at anatomy and more first aid. Starting with simple and compound fractures, we moved on to Sprains and Strains and learned different treatments such as RICE (Rest-Ice-Compress-Elevation) and eventually began studying different types of Burns. Throughout the day we were faced with scenarios and questions (basic Do’s and Do Not’s). After a short break, we looked at another Royal Navy video on Cold Water Casualties and focused on Drowning, Hypothermia and Hyperthermia. Interestingly enough:

- Hypo in Latin means less
- Hyper in Latin means more
- Thermia means temperature

All of this makes a lot of sense and being a language teacher, I really enjoyed the Latin terminology part. Another interesting fact that I found out was only 1 in 10 victims die of drowning while 1 in 3 of people who go into the water to help die. This tells me that if anybody needs help and the situation is a bit dodgy… avoid it like the plague. Here the main idea drilled into your head is YOUR safety before everybody else’s which makes a lot of sense. Looking at Heat Loss and Immersion in water helped us understand the difference between Heat Extension and Heat Stroke.

As for the link to diving it was easy: after 50 meters you need a hot water suit but after 150 meters you also need hot gas. This means your body can adapt and cope better under pressure.

I have got to say that a lot of the stuff you learn will help you in every day life. We soon looked at different types of poisons and remedies (Household, Drug, Alcohol and food poisoning). Interestingly enough apple juice is very good to take if you have had food poisoning! A quick practical test on 'Anne' followed.

This is 'Anne' by the way.

After a tea break we did some practical work on Individual Recovery Positions and Log Rolling. After this we learned the correct way to apply bandages and put people’s arms in slings. Shortly after, we were dealing with Unconscious Casualties and Assessment Levels of Consciousness. A final power point with graphic pictures of wounds ended our day before lunch.

At 8:00pm the second half of the class (including myself) had the chance to go into the water using commercial diving equipment. The feeling is weird. The dry suit feels like wearing a giant rubber glove and around your neck it feels like someone is strangling you. After putting on the diving bottle/harness, neck-down and helmet it feels very strange. One good thing is that you check the equipment 3 times before you can finally walk around underwater:

1. Check prior to putting the equipment on.
2. Check of equipment when putting it on.
3. Final check just underneath the surface.

The feeling is unique and we are told it is what astronauts feel when they are in space. Although the equipment is heavy outside the water, inside it is very light. If you are claustrophobic this career is definitely not for you. I will add some pictures and video tomorrow so that you can see what I looked like. The dive was by far the best part of the course until now.

Without a doubt I can see why my father likes this job. The tranquility and safety aspects are excellent; however I am still coming to terms with the absence of my beautiful wife and wonderful kids. I wish my son was here to see what I am doing and my wife to reassure her of how much I love her and safe diving is.


2 comments:

Rachel said...

I know you're trying to make me feel better but it's all still a bit scary. I hate the idea of you under the water. Please be ultra cautious and remember how many people rely on you at home.

Guess who I ran into today... Alice Therrien. She says hi.

Crystal's Elite Dance Studio said...

Anne looks attractive! haha...Remember, YOU'RE MARRIED!! ;)

~Christy~