Friday 18 July 2008

Week 2, Day 11

As usual in Fort William the weather was terrible today. It rained straight from 8:30 in the morning and has still not stopped. By far this has been my worst day. Not because of the weather but because I could not equalize. Some of you might be thinking that I have finaly lost my marbles but what this means is that I can not pop my ears and in diving terms this means NO diving! Imagine you are on a plane, as the cabin pressure builds your ears start to pop. Now imagine your ears cannot pop, the pressure keeps building and your inner ear starts to hurt. If you continue, worse case scenario is that you burst your eardrum. Luckily enough here at the centre, one of the instructors is a diver medic and is very good about telling up not to dive. So instead all day I have been tending to other divers which means dressing them and helping them with their umbilical.

The divers on the other hand have had the chance to work with a pneumatic drill underwater and going over their diver rescue.

A full day of no diving has really drained me of enthusiasm but luckily we finished a bit early today so I headed into town and bought the following which is supposed to help relieve de-congestion in your nose and ears and prevent any de-congestion in the future.

Vitamin C tablets
Ibuprofen
Multivitamin tablets
Oranges
Bottles of water
Otrivoine nasal spray

This may seem a lot but I do not want to get ill or fall behind on dives and have to make them up afterwards. Not a chance!

No comments: