Wednesday 23 July 2008

Week 3, Day 14

Today one half of our course had to catch up with the a chamber diver that they missed. A chamber dive basically means that they seal you up in a diving chamber on the surface and pressurise it. In this case to 150 feet. After they completed a quick task they were decompressed and let out. It seems quick but it took over an hour!
While the chamber divers were recuperating the other half, including myself, began diving again using the airlift. This was an assessment dive and I had the privilege of wearing an AH 5 Helmet.
The reason I am so serious is because I was doing my bail out and comms checks.

It does not look like much but if you are diving in sewage or something 'not pleasant' this is the hat for you. As you can see by the picture it has a large screen to look out and a smaller one on top. It is weird to put on as you need an extra harness and the actual mask is screwed on like a SLR camera lens. When you go in the water the first thing the mask does is pull you up by your neck so you have to pull the front strap down as much as possible. At the same time, because the helmet is so light you need extra weights. Going in the water was bad enough, but coming out wet makes you even heavier... I thought they were going to need a crane to pick me up from the sea bed. In any case I passed the assessment and would recommend other people try the helmet. It is quite good when you are in the water.

3 comments:

Crystal's Elite Dance Studio said...

ewwww.diving in sewage?!? Please don't tell me, I don't want to know...

~Christy~

Aprille - The Muddled said...

I think if I was diving in sewage,... well no. I just don't think I could dive into sewage. wade around in it - sure but dive in it? I dunno. I guess you must be making good money if your getting trained to swim in sewage lol. I think I'd be worried about my crotch coming unstitched again. And you know what happens when your diving in sewage and your crotch comes unstitched Michal?

Your jut full of CRAP!!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is.... the day you dive in sewage, just don't bother coming home. :)